Friday, April 2, 2010

Too Much Food In the Fridge... Again.

Since my parents came to visit me two weekends ago, my fridge was overstocked with veggies, carbs and meats. This actually always seems to happen when my mom finds a fridge that is not adequately overflowing with food. Although it was all done out of love, I think they grossly overestimated how much I could eat by myself. I would not have minded if this was limited to cans and pasta -- food that could last for more than two weeks without me living in fear of it going bad. One of my saddest and hardest errands and household duties is cleaning out my fridge and throwing away food that I used to have such high hopes for. When I go to the grocery store, all the limitless supplies of perfectly aligned apples and avocados, croissants and butter sticks, eggs and milk cartons just inspire me. That and I'm a sucker for pretty designs, so put a pretty wrap around that vegetable smoothie bottle, and you've got yourself an inspired customer! But then, I work late hours and by the time I come home, I hardly have the time or energy to prepare the extravagant meals I concocted mentally while rummaging around the frozen vegetables section. And then, a few weeks later, when I see the mushrooms shriveling up in my fridge and my avocados becoming unhealthily soft, I avoid throwing them out as long as possible. Not because I have any intention of eating them, nor am I delusional into thinking they'll get better, but because I hate throwing food away. 


It is this exact train of thought that brought me to the idea of having a private dinner party for four tonight. My abundance of veggies, pita pockets and chicken (all of which had been in my fridge for a little longer than I had originally intended for them to be there) needed to be eaten. And since I could not eat that much alone, I figured I'd spread the joy and feed my friends! My only experience in making pitas had come from watching the cute boy at Pita Pit who worked at the store I went to on Tuesday nights in my last semester of school. But not having any prior experience in cooking, preparing or making pitas did not discourage me from deciding tonight's menu would be based around pitas. Turns out, I have quite the beginner's luck. Here is the picture of one of tonight's concoctions. I think the best part of having pitas for dinner is the fact that I could make sure each of my guests was fully satisfied, since everyone got to personalize what went in their pita. I think I'm going to make a regular event of these fridge-cleaning dinner parties, considering the success I had tonight. Want an invite? Let me know and we'll see what we can make happen!



1 comment:

  1. Hey! So... I totally love your blog. You make me smile. A lot! I love you! And... if by some event we will leave together, I totally expect to be invited to a couple of dinners. I will make cozonac and I will teach you how. I have now learned this. And I will learn how to make marmelage/jams, again, I will teach you the wonders I will learn so you can spread the word. You are too cute and I love reading this because I know you so I know exactly how you would tell this story.

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete