Friday, April 2, 2010

Almond Joy Cupcakes? Heck yes!

During my last internship, I discovered that the best way to convince people to not mind coming to your cubicle and helping you out is to be able to offer them something. Although my charm, personality and humor usually served well enough during my college career in gaining people's willingness to help me, people in the real world needed something more tangible than my friendship. That is when I realized the importance of always having a bag of bite-sized Almond Joys in your cubicle. People will unknowingly stop by to ask for a piece of chocolate, which is when I would rope them into helping me on whatever I was working on. And if I didn't have any questions, they usually would offer me their contact information -- which I never failed to take note of and actually contacted them later for help.

Well, during that summer I realized how amazing Almond Joys really are. I love coconut. I love chocolate. And I definitely love almonds. Whoever came up with the idea of mixing the three was really onto something. But why keep this amazing flavor combination only in a chocolate candy bar form when you can adjust it to become a cupcake? And that is how the adventure started...

My first almond joy cupcakes made an appearance at the end of last summer. They were quite interesting to make. The actual cupcake part was made with brown sugar, which I failed to realize would definitely affect the sweetness of the cupcake. To make the cupcake, I had to cut out a bit of the middle to fill it up with the coconut-sugar-cream cheese filling, and when I tasted the cupcake part I had cut out, I was really disappointed. My first thought was "did I forget the sugar??" That is the only way to describe the taste. I was horrified, especially considering I had spent so much time on the recipe. But I did not give up. Turns out, the coconut-sugar-cream cheese filling more than made up on the sweetness of the cupcake once you bit into it.

Since I will always hold a special place for Almond Joys in my heart (and stomach), I decided to let them make another appearance. So here's one of them!



Perhaps I'll try to make cupcakes with the taste of Twix bars next.... Who can say no to a Twix bar? Probably no one. Who can say no to a Twix cupcake? To be determined.

(P.S. The Iana - Oven saga continues to unfold, although I claim this as a major step in the right direction, considering the awesomeness of the cupcakes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment